Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Tomoka's Twists III



I need more days off from work or some employees. Note: Call all crafty relatives who do not have Auther. And get eyebrows arched or stop taking pics with them looking like that.

Muslimahlocs wanted to know, "What's a Tomoka?" A Tomoka is a beautiful, strong woman. She's funny, open-minded, hard-working, caring, generous, inspiring, and creative. In short she's my older sister.
I talked to my dad. Tomoka is also the middle name of my grandaunt on my father's side. Many years ago my great-grandmother Liola rented rooms of her house after my great-grandfather Samuel died. During this time she met many people. One was either named Tomoka, knew somebody named Tomoka, or was from the Tomoka area of Florida. The name is supposed to be Native American 'Timucua' which were all the Indians in southern Georgia and nothern Florida .

7 comments:

blackrussian said...

My eyebrows are looking rough in a few of my pictures. I tweeze them myself and I only have to about once a month. I just forgot to do them...for almost 3 months running...

Most of the bloggers have theirs done ALL the time. I went back and looked at myself like: Dang! Girl! What was you thinking???

I didn't even notice yours. I was all up in the hair and the accessory.

Still have a ?... Is 'tomoka' from another language or did you make it up?

muslimahlocs said...

thanks for the fyi. i will await your follow-up response to br about the etymology of "tomoka" unless the explanation reveals your sister's real name or violates her privacy in some way.
the twists are very nice. i'm not the crafty and do not have the time to even try.

Goodnapps said...

Very pretty.

muslimahlocs said...

i knew there had to be a story behind the name. thanks for the update. love the twists!

Naturally Sophia said...

Cute! I love your creativity. Smiles:)

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Those twists are very pretty, you are very creative.

blackrussian said...

Yes, thank you for the story.

My Dad's family is from North FL and the name had that Indian sound to it.

How does your sister feel? Honored?