Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My Doctor's Visit - Metformin, PCOS, Anemia - Oh My!

She's a black woman first off and she knows my black GYN too. Now my black GYN wears itty bitty twists I think on relaxed hair. My new doctor is 5 months pregnant, heavy, cute, and she gave me a hug. She was very interested in my locks. She said she had to take a second look at them when I was getting my pressure taken. She touched them too. And the cashier at the grocery store asked about them too. The my phle- blood taker was black too.

All in all I look healthy. I'm down 8lbs from the last time I was weighed. And I had my steal toes shoes on, they are good 3-4 lbs. That's a good thing.

My thyroid feels normal. But my neck is a little large - for the love of everything good - I'm fat. I had five tubes of blood pulled. They are going to check for anemia, sickel cell trait, and thyroid stuff.

Now, here comes the devil. Metformin, I hate it. It works wonders for people with PCOS - me. But it give you nausea and diarrhea to no end. I used to take 3 pills a day. I quit taking it. Yes I was loosing weight and my period came on again - but I couldn't stomach it. Now I will do 2 pills a day. I will take 1 for 4 nights in a row and then one twice a day.

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/glucophage-metformin-pcos.html

http://www.pcos.insulitelabs.com/PCOS-Symptoms.php

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

dreamangel75 said...

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor put me on the brand name Glumetza. She said it has less side effects. Glumetza is an extended time release formula. I started off the first week with one dose (500mg) a day. By the second week, it was increased to two a day at the same time with dinner. In the beginning I experienced a mild stomach upset, but overall no side effects thus far. If you have not tried a time release formula, it may be worth a try.

CarmenNC said...

Thank you dreamangel75 for the suggestion. I'm so glad you stopped and shared your experience with me and everyone else.

muslimahlocs said...

that is quite a diagnosis. may God make it easy on you.

Anonymous said...

PCOS, the Hidden Epidemic

The fundamental problem with PCOS is anovulation and not making progesterone for two weeks every cycle.

This lack of progesterone leads to hormonal imbalance in the ovary, causes the ovary to produce testosterone and leads to the irregular menstrual cycles and infertility. This is aggravated by obesity and insulin resistance.

Progesterone is missing, therefore replacing it makes sense.

To read more, click here:

Understanding PCOS, the Hidden Epidemic by Jeffrey Dach MD

my web site

By the way, "On Broadway" is my favorite song.

Jean said...

glumetza is a little easier on the stomach,, i gave up hope until i went on it